Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Ted talk

I listen to Ted talks a lot while I am working online - (when I am not listening to music I always have to have some auditory thing going on). 


This talk fascinated and scared me. The conversation about how the little reward systems that are set into our lives by technology wasn't a new realization for me, but how rampant it was did surprise me.  Part of that might be because I don't play many online games.  I school online and I work online, so my free time has very little to do with online :)  Sure I get on facebook and check in with people.  Once a month I check into Twitter, and there is the whole daily email thing.

However- Jesse does a great job of talking about the reality behind this reward system and what misperceptions we have about the online gaming industry. How it functions in our lives, how it shapes what we do and how we think.

This is where I find technology scary- people stop thinking that real world interactions are necessary- and as a teacher this worries me because the move to online schools are strong but even worse is Pearson's MyCompLab- which I have to use in other teaching jobs - who is now starting to promote free basic writing courses.  Where does that leave me as an online teacher? They are rapidly moving from a tutorial system to a teaching system.

The interaction is necessary - people do not learn in a vacuum, people need human interaction and learning is not just reading from a screen and regurgitating.  There is more but these concepts are being lost from the "ease" of technology.

Again- a fascinating talk- very much worth the 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment