Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The blogosphere and academia


First off - I wanted to make this a comment, but blogger was being a little uncooperative so it'll be post.

Blogging and coursework always seem like a funky marriage to me. Sure, I think they can work together, but sometimes it just takes a little massaging and a little pre-class priming, if you know what I mean. I think it's always a smart move - as Bill has done for this class - to outline the rationale behind a blog, otherwise there may be confusion about the purposes - pedagogical and practical - behind using a blog.


It's been my experience that writing for blogs can make some people uncomfortable. They're not sure what a blog post ought and ought not to be (I know this is certainly true for me). Sometimes they write as though they're seeking publication in a scholarly journal and other times they incoherently rant (and often preface their posts by admitting as much). And while I don't favor a particular type of writing over any other, I do think it's interesting to look at the types of writing yielded by blogging, especially when it's commingled with academic purposes.

Here are some definitions of blog writing that I've found: Wikipedia, The Online Journalism Review, Tech Crunch ... I am sure there are others.

I wonder how these aims, goals and ideas are changed when they enter the Ivory Tower. I always think it's interesting to look at blogs that have been completed in the past and track their trajectory and narrative. I have a very immature theory that the first handful of posts go a long way in defining the ethos of a blog.

Here's a blog our Writing Center Theory and Administration class worked on last semester. If you get a chance to take a look, I'd like to hear comments. To me, and I posted this once, it looked more like typical, alphanumeric reading responses than a blog. The hypertextuality of the blog was a little limited -- very few links, hardly any images, etc.

Do these elements define a blog, or am I wrong? What are the infrastructures that define blog writing? In this case, is it the syllabus? Is it the grading contract we've entered with the class?

I think this raises questions about a sort of "literacy-muscle-memory" that seems to exist (I know there's a real term for it, but I can't remember), whereby we use new tools in the same old ways. I don't necessarily think it's a detriment to the blog that more hypertextual and multimodal elements weren't used, I just think it's interesting how we sometimes treat blogs in academia.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this because I think blogging is an incredibly powerful tool, but I find striking the balance between formal and informal can be a pretty large obstacle if there aren't clear expectations.

1 comment:

  1. Blog entries - and blogs, as collections of these - can serve a variety of purposes it is true. And so I think of them not as a single genre but as a collection of genres. The one thing that makes a blog a blog is rather minimal: reverse-chrono order of entries.

    What I hope we can achieve with this blog is something closer to a shared resource than a means to be accountable to me, the instructor of the course. When blogging goes badly, it is simply the latter. Heck, when class discussion goes badly, it is usually for that reason too.

    ...and about "muscle memory," are you thinking of Bolter & Grusin's concept of remediation?

    ReplyDelete