Monday, May 30, 2011

With Great Anticipation

Hello everyone,

My name is Shenika Hankerson and this is my first graduate seminar at Michigan State University. I am enrolled as a Lifelong Education student.

My educational background revolves around composition, rhetoric, pedagogy and technology. I received a Master of Arts degree from Eastern Michigan University in 2002. My master’s program was very beneficial, as I received an immense amount of training in the above realm. In particular, I learned how to:

  • Develop engaging writing assignments (composition and rhetoric)
  • Develop effective instructional methods (pedagogy)
  • Develop course-related content for electronic transmittal (technology)

I love teaching! I have been teaching college level courses for ten years. I instruct developmental, basic and introductory English courses (theme-based). I also instruct literature courses (novels). My classroom practices reflect what I learned at EMU. However, I try to integrate current practices as well. Thus I often experiment with innovative practices learned from current academic articles, conferences, research, etc.

I try to ensure that my students remain engaged in my courses (and in education as a whole) by using current electronic components. I currently use Facebook, Twitter and PbWorks in the classroom. I have also experimented with Second Life and Diipo.

Technology has offered numerous personal and professional capabilities. Thus I believe it’s an important part of learning. I am interested in technology and literacy. My specialized interest lies in digitizing literacy themed courses for educational purposes. I would like to develop a multi-technological course that helps students learn via diverse electronic components. My hope is to build a strong reading, writing, learning and technological proficiency foundation.

The title (With Great Anticipation) reflects my current disposition. I am eagerly anticipating learning innovative content and implementing it into my courses.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Shenika! I look forward to getting to know more about you and your experiences using technology in your courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have a day during our in-residence week when I'll ask each of you to demo a technology that you find especially helpful for achieving one or more learning goals in your own teaching. You have lots of good ones to choose from Shenika! I've not used Diipo before, for instance. I'm also a fan of PBwiki, by the way. I think it is one of the more accessible wiki platforms out there.

    ReplyDelete