Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chapter 2 of "Because Digital Writing Matters"

"Revising the Writing Process as Enhanced by Digital Writing Tools"

It was very interesting to read, on p. 46, about the early software and writing tools that changed the way people wrote. I was very interested to read about the specific programs that were used (“Bankstreet writer, Applewriter and Writer’s helper”). Of course I immediately tried to find more information on these tools- I tried to download AppleWriter onto my computer from The Apple 2 Lost Classics Project at http://lostclassics.apple2.info/downloads/?dl_cat=17. Downloading it didn't work (what is a .shk? Perhaps my computer isn't old enough to be compatible, although this is probably surprising to all of you who have seen my computer!)

When searching for Bank Street Writer, I found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bank-Street-Writer-Plus-Processor/dp/B001DARYYG, which I thought was hilarious. I personally have never known any other collaborative writing tools other than gooledocs. It was interesting to learn that there was an online collaborative space called Writely created in 2006. I had never heard of Writely before.

On page 53, the description of the electronic

portfolio- this part reminded me that I should be doing things like electronic portfolios in my classroom, with my students. Of course I have my own electronic portfolio, for my Committee and annual review (see photo, or shariwolke.wordpress.com) and for a general online representation of myself and my scholarship. Why shouldn’t I teach my students to do the same?

This idea has radically changed my ideas for students’ Final Project in my first year writing courses. For the WRA 110 hybrid course I am designing, I think that the final project will now be some sort of portfolio, or at least an option for students to create a portfolio.The fact that I have not done portfolios to this point is particularly embarrassing for me as a teacher to admit because one of the main aspects of my teaching philosophy is that all of my students’ writing assignments and assessments should be practical- that is, every assignment should contribute to their area of academic inquiry and help them to become a better writer in their particular discipline. Sometimes we miss the most obvious things when teaching!

1 comment:

  1. Writely was acquired by Google and became GoogleDocs!

    ReplyDelete