Monday, July 11, 2011

Reading-Teachers


When I think of the word "scaffolding" I may think like many others and see a vision of a construction site with layers and layers of scaffolding so workers can climb up and work on higher parts. After reading "Scaffolding: An Important Teacher Competency in Online Learning," by Nada Dabbagh, I realized that I was not too far off in my thinking.

Dabbagh talks about the layering of learning and giving learners just enough information so they keep the momentum in the learning process. It also spoke of the differences of low and high level scaffolding and how you must teach these individuals differently. I questioned this thought because I didn't see where they spoke about how to identify who are the low and high scaffolding students?

Scaffolding, to me, seems like it has to be taught a different way to each and every class and it also matters where the class is taught. You will see a very different crowd with certain majors or even different schools. There has to be a certain amount of time that the teacher has to become acquainted with the classroom to see the type of students they will have for that semester or year and then they can find out what type of scaffolding they will teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment