Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Inspirational Sites, Studies, and Resources

Twitter
Twitter offers immense educational benefits. Users frequently tweet content that is personally and/or professionally pertinent. I have found an array of useful content via my Twitter timeline. Some tech-savvy users that I follow are: Cole (colecamplese),  Coop (Soul4Real), and Shelley Rodrigo (rrodrigo). These individuals generally post content in the writing and technology realm. Thus over the months of following them, I have learned a lot about helpful websites, studies, and scholars in the field.

Higher Education Academic Journals
Higher education academic journals provide collegiate individuals with a voice. It’s refreshing to hear the perspective of diverse individuals from a myriad of backgrounds. The brief information regarding academic theories and studies is valuable. I frequently read electronic articles from College Composition and Communication, The Chronicle of Higher Education, College English, and Computers and Composition. Articles such as James P. Purdy’s, “The Changing Space of Research: Web 2.0 and the Integration of Research and Writing Environments,” published in Computers and Composition (2010), serve as a useful instructional guide. Purdy believes that writing and research is strengthened with the combination of Web 2.0 electronic components. He uses a detailed analytical method to support his theory. Similar approaches (theory/research oriented) are advantageous to my pedagogy.

Wayne State University Office for Teaching and Learning Blog
This is an extremely resourceful blog! The OTL staff generally post content to the blog; however, WSU faculty and staff have contributed as well. The teaching-oriented postings help educators facilitate an effective classroom structure by introducing concepts and resources pertaining to technology and education. The blog posts introduce distinct electronic websites like Folksemantic and Phoebe Pedagogic Planner (as modernization becomes prevalent). Additionally, the OTL posts previously presented electronic material from various campus teaching and learning symposiums.

4 comments:

  1. Great resources! Thanks Shenika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second that. Twitter is proving itself to be a surprising resource that I'm going to have to take better advantage of in the future.

    The Journals and Blog sound like amazing resources, can't wait to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the resources, Shenika. I myself am a twitter junkie, so I can relate. I hadn't seen the Wayne State site before, so I appreciate that link. I also have a question about why you chose to take a picture of your physical screen rather than a screenshot? I kind of like that you did it that way as it feels novel in the age of Jing, etc. Either way, I liked your post, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andrea,
    I decided to use personal camera photos since I was discussing personal technological learning components (although a screenshot would have been just as effective). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete