Monday, June 6, 2011

Shenika's Digital Workspaces

My Home Workspace
This is my most underutilized workspace. I have a functioning desktop computer that I have not used in more than two years. Sometimes I utilize the desk for laptop purposes, but generally my laptop is used in alternate locations inside of my home (e.g., dining room, living room and bedroom).

I use my laptop to create the majority of my course content. I instruct tradition classroom English and Literature courses; however, a vast amount of course content is delivered and completed via electronic components.
  • Blackboard: Blackboard is an educational online website that allows instructors to develop/post course content. Blackboard has a Grade Center feature that I use. This allows students to view their assignment grades and evaluations anytime.
  • PBworks: PBworks is an online workspace system. I use PBworks for writing platform purposes. This is the central location where students post their assignments. It allows students to develop online writing portfolios, post reading discussions and access all course content (handouts, lecture material, etc.). Basically, PBworks functions as my classroom “social networking” system.
My Global Workspace
I use my iPhone for almost everything. I use my iPhone to edit electronic course content, perform educational research, and communicate via email. The iPhone offers numerous work-related applications that help me perform tasks efficiently. Additionally, because it’s so small and functional, I use it everywhere.

My Workplace Workspaces
My Office (Wayne State University): I use my office for assistance purposes only. Since I use an ample amount of technology in my courses, I use office hours to personally assist my students with using course-related online features. Some students feel overwhelmed by the amount of technology utilized. Thus I try to ease their anxiety by helping them navigate the systems.

The Office of Teaching and Learning (Wayne State University): The Office of Teaching and Learning is a resource center that helps faculty develop their instructional material. I use the resource center when I am planning to utilize a multi-functional technological platform. (The office offers an array of equipment and software programs.) Additionally, I use the resource center when I want to learn something new for potential course integration.

These are my digital workspaces. I’m certain that I will be adding to this list very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment