Friday, June 10, 2011

Inspiring Sites and Resources

Linkedin

I had to put Linkedin at number 1 because it is the best, easiest, and most thorough resource that I have ever used and the site that I use the most. With MSU having so many alumni, it is an amazing tool to research companies that students are interested in so that I can make connections for them. I also love that with a click of a few buttons, you can send a message out to millions of individuals throughout the entire world.
It also has a great job function where businesses can post positions they are seeking and get a response within seconds or minutes. The world moves very fast these days and Linkedin is moving in a lightening speed direction.

Twitter

This is another great tool that I use to get the word out on job postings or internships. It is a very easy way to "blast" out a position that can be retweeted all over the world and have a quick response time. Tweeting a position is very time sensitive and usually does not last more then a couple of days unless there is a hashtag placed on it and individuals can follow it. I am seeing more and more companies postings positions on Twitter and looking for that quick response.

Hashable

I started using this technology when I was at the SXSW conference in Austin, Texas. Most, if not all people had QR codes on their cards, t-shirts, flyers, and whatever they were promotion but I didn't see too many people scanning these codes. I did see a trend of less physical paper cards and sharing of information by BUMP or Hashable. Hashable is a great way when after you meet with someone they can give you their twitter handle and it automatically shares your information and stores it in a file. You can also share this persons information with a group.

Callpod

Another inspiring technology that I have in Club 181 is our Callpod. Instead of the traditional water cooler where everyone used to congregate and talk, I have replaced it with this technology. The Callpod has 6 arms that can charge 6 different phones, I-pads, etc. and is a great way for people to sit and chat while they are charging their technology.

I am always hunting for the newest and greatest software and technology so that I can stay ahead of the race.

1 comment:

  1. Paul: It's interesting that some technologies can have unforeseen consequences/affordances. That the callpod is replacing the traditional watercooler is really interesting. I think it illustrates how central our portable technologies are becoming to our life.

    ReplyDelete