Wednesday, June 6, 2012

doug's Digital Workspaces

As I've learned about myself over a number of years, I'm a person who thinks in compartments linked to space. That is, each environment in my living space has its own specific designated use. What I like most about this organization strategy is the way I can make and remake my habitat to better suit the demands of my work as needed.

So yes, this means I am one of those people who enjoys working from home. I've gone to great lengths to create two primary workspaces that facilitate the ways I think. In front of two giant windows lives the center of digital creation in my world. Equipped for loud music, making maps, and working across lots of computer screen, I conduct the activities that require the greatest number of consecutive tasks. Surrounded by light and plants, this is where you'll find me composing, reviewing, grading, brainstorming, and tracking my own activity throughout the week.

Now, when it comes to activity that is social, mobile, or a small part of a whole, you will find me playing at my kitchen table. I love this damn table, and I couldn't tell you exactly why. It's been with me since I lived in my first house, and it was originally owned by my great aunt and uncle. You'll also notice in the picture that I have my tea all ready to go, because tea is central to all of my thinking ceremonies. I will spend time at this station when Skyping with friends and students, conducting nebulous investigation, sitting in the early hours of the morning to watch the town of Mason be quiet. I especially like the last part. In any case, this space gives me the feeling of being mobile as I usually am with my laptop, only I'm at home. So it works for me.

And now you know a lot more about my neurosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment