Sunday, June 17, 2012

My students

My students include two distinct, yet related groups.  The primary group that I work with as a teacher is Parkland College students.  A secondary group I have recently begun working with is Eastern Illinois students in the Continuing Education program who take evening and weekend classes at Parkland.

Parkland Demographics

EIU demographics

The above demographics provide a snapshot of some aspects of who these students are.  When I interact with them in courses and the writing center I encounter them in other ways.  I offer this brief description as another, snapshot.

My students come from a wide range of backgrounds.  They are traditional and non-traditional students who have a wide range of educational goals.  Some are exploring their options, others aim to transfer to four-year universities, and some I encounter with years of professional experience looking to advance or change careers.

In so many ways, these students teach me how to teach them.  They have shown me their need for clear course structure, open discussions of writing, and a wide range of technology use.  Some are quite comfortable with composing on a computer, while others prefer to draft by handwriting.  Few are familiar with the range of tools provided by modern word processing programs, but many are quite adept with social media.  Some are comfortable with academic writing.  Most are not comfortable or familiar with the demands of academic writing.

This snapshot continues to change at community colleges across the country.  With the economic struggles of the US these last few years community colleges have faced even more changes and challenges.  Flexibility is required to engage this wide range of students in the hopes of meeting their learning needs.  Thoughtfully deploying technology will be a necessity if I hope to positively impact my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment