Friday, June 1, 2012

I want to go here! Sites, Studies, and Resources that Inspire and Inform Maria’s Digital Pedagogy


This blog topic was a little more challenging for me to think of and actually write about, particularly because I have never consciously paid attention to the sites and resources that inform my digital pedagogy. As such, it took me a while to think about the every day resources that I use. Here are a few that I use and I’m sure that many of you do as well:

·      MSU Library – I’m always using this for access to journals, articles and books.
·      My Class Facebook Page – My students always respond really well to having our own class Facebook page. I prefer to send updates and messages to my students via Facebook rather than taking the time to log into Angel and navigate to email. Also, students have commented that the Facebook page allows them to get to know each other in a setting outside of the classroom and provides the opportunity to make more connections.
·      NPR – Of course, I refer to NPR for information beyond digital technology stories. But I must say that more often than not they have great stories about how technology is being incorporated into classrooms and typically deal with issues of accessibility (something I am extremely interested in).
·      PBS  - Like NPR, the PBS website always has great articles and independent films on classrooms, technology, and issues pertaining to accessibility. Always a great source to better connect with issues occurring in our world and the impact it has upon teachers and students.
·      iAnnotate – Now, I will admit I have yet to use this app. However, once I purchase an iPad I plan to use this all the time! This app allows teachers to grade papers via voice recording – saving time and the pain of writing comments. Instead students simply download an audio recording from the teacher and the comments are done!  
·      My class website – This was the trial run for my class blog from the spring semester. The plan is to use this class to better inform its use and better incorporate it into the classroom culture.

What’s interesting about these resources is the fact that I use them not for solely informing my digital pedagogy but for multiple purposes. This got me to thinking about how digital pedagogy truly is unique compared to traditional classroom practices and environments. In my opinion and from my own experience, digital pedagogy provides links from the outside world into our limited classroom space – it humanizes even though many will argue that it can create robots or robot-like action in ways. But really, if used effectively, digital pedagogy affords the opportunity for outside connections to be more easily accessed and invites knowledge and experience from the outside world into our classroom. As a teacher, I am always trying to do this and I’m looking forward to enhancing my own use of digital pedagogy in this class to better bring the outside world into my own classroom. To wrap up, I invite everyone else to think about the tools and resources they use that inform their digital pedagogy. Are these tools solely for better informing your digital pedagogy or do they have a multitude of purposes? If so, what does that then afford you as a teacher using technology in your classroom? And what does that afford your students?

Finally, I took some time to look at some sites that are a little more formal and more directly geared towards digital pedagogy. Before this class I never really paid much attention to these resources. However, I think it will be interesting as I continue this class to refer to these as we discuss technological and pedagogical related topics. Feel free to check them out as well. Or if you have experience with any of these sites, comment on what you found useful or not so useful from them!

·      The Journal of Technology, Pedagogy and Education – As mentioned above, I have yet to fully check out this journal but I anticipate it being something to reference throughout this course and as I continue teaching.

·      Digital Humanities Quarterly Journal – Again, I have not fully used nor explored this journal but am very interested to do so.

·      Classroom 2.0 – This is an awesome website where teachers who identify as “Teachers 2.0” share their experiences, successes and failures with incorporating technology into their classrooms. Another awesome resource to be used and explored!
                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment