Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reflections on the Graduate Seminar Face-2-Face Experience


It is hard to add to the fabulous remarks that Maria has so succinctly published, I totally agree that the sessions were amazing.  It showed some of the potential of what Online Education could be and could do, given the right organization, structure and such great participants and an instructor who has put a lot of thought into the process.

I thought back about my experiences in Online education. I had been out of college for a long time (almost three decades) and I knew I wanted to go back to college, as my career and my life was going to face massive changes in just a short time: 1) the last of my students (my kids) were finishing up high school and going off to college, 2) my father, who I had been taking care of for over seven years, was dying of cancer,  3) with my outdated credentials and background in teaching music, there wasn’t much of a chance to get back into that field, and I really wasn’t that interested in it.  I wanted to go back to get trained in something I could do to really help others.  Because of tight budget issues at the time I knew that LCC was my only option and I would have to pay my own way.  I took something simple to see if I could handle college level work, since I was still teaching our home school, my very first foray into Online Education was a MSU extension class about British Gardens.  It was well organized and I loved the videos, interactive maps and I could handle the interaction.  Then I took classes at Lansing Community College in writing with an honor’s section that was a hybrid class.  Again, I had a great professor, he knew how to handle online environments and  get the most out of the digital environment.  I signed up for more online sections, they allowed me to work when I had free time (late at night and weekends) and I didn’t have to worry about driving my old car downtown and getting stranded, or searching for parking; online education was fabulous.  Then I had a class taught by a typical online instructor. A nightmare.


Over the years, I have had probably ten or more online classes through both LCC, Northwood University, and now MSU.  Even though I am highly self-motivated, good at working on my own, know how to structure and maximize my time, and can teach myself, I still have had to fight my way through some online classes.  I’ve faced professors that: had no apparent organization, would not return messages for weeks, had obviously just slapped their face-to-face material online, had no clue how to use the Content Management System, hated teaching online, would not use any online features, and some who even quit in the midst of the semester.  I had group projects online with a range of classmates that were brilliant to nonexistent, checking in only for the introduction. After working in the writing center and getting to know the professors I found that often professors were assigned online sections only a week or two before the semester started.  Actually only two professors in the whole writing and English department (about fifteen total instructors including adjuncts) had any specific training or pedagogy for online education.  LCC administration considered the required online training module for how to use the school’s CMS as full training for teaching online.  At the same time, my major focus became computers, information management and the potential for using these tools in education.  On the innovative side, the programmers and developers are working furiously to bring products to the marketplace that could potentially upend the traditional methods of education.
There are millions of dollars going into usability studies and improvements on the delivery and hardware side, but from what I heard in talking to recent college graduates that had focused on education- the theoretical training and preparation for teaching in these new environments just wasn’t happening. At the same time, college administrators were promoting online classes since they are very scalable and profitable, they allow for higher influx of students when needed, and can easily be reduced as student populations wane, without creating massive infrastructure to house classrooms. 

 It appeared there was a need to do research on how to build bridges and help simplify the delivery of online classes and ways to help instructors rethink their pedagogy to not fight the online environment, but optimize it.

Even though my summer was going to be incredibly busy, I really wanted to see what this class had to offer, it was exactly what I wanted to learn more about.

The set-up was extremely effective.  Using the time before the face-to-face sessions to get to know each other and build some foundational understanding on key topics was very beneficial.  Instead of wasting precious class time in “team building” or “getting to know you” activities, we were able to dive into the more difficult concepts of how WE were going to apply these principles.  The ability to discuss the issues in depth right away was wonderful and intimidating at the same time.  It felt like being thrown into a raft and setting off on a white-water expedition. 

It did, indeed, cause me to rethink everything. 

A few conclusions at the moment-

1) Future instructors going into education at any level should take a class (or classes) on using technology in education.  They will have to face choices on what to use and how to use it.  Even children in rural Africa sometimes have wind up computers and local networks.  It is like the transition from scrolls to books with pages that turn. 

Message: learn to turn the pages.

 2) The potential to use online tools is almost limitless, so is the potential to confuse or overwhelm students.  In every lesson, every activity it is important to carefully consider both out students (our audience), what we want to teach (our thesis),  and our limitations (MAPS). Every decision should carefully weigh the affordances and disaffordances.

Message: look before you leap.

3) Seeing a tool like ELI was a revelation to me, and a revolution in my thinking.  Finally a tool developed by instructors to help improve the process of education.  Most tools are developed by businesses (Angel, Blackboard, and Desire to Learn) and programmers.  They are designed as a business tool, some  of these designers take user interface seriously, but very few understand educational pedagogy and that is why when it comes to using the product in the classroom there is chaos. 

Message: there is hope.


There is light at the end of the tunnel, unfortunately it is a freight train coming.  If we don’t want to end up as part of the scenery we need to change our paradigms of education and how to convey to our students a joy towards learning, even in an online environment. Instead of shaking our fist at change, instructors need to learn how to harness it and channel it to meet our needs.  

Change is going to happen, we just need to be alert and look for ways to avoid the pitfalls as we embrace the benefits.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment