Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Students-

Trying it all "On"-

I work with a variety of people in a variety of situations, since I am only a lowly Master’s Student at this point I do not teach a traditional classroom.  However, I do work with a variety of people who come voluntarily to various venues.  In the Writing Center my schedule is usually full of mostly Asian students. Additionally, I also have been tutoring mostly non-traditional students at both Siena Heights University and Lansing Community College.  I also teach a weekly Bible study class at a local Chinese church.  In a week’s time I can interact with anywhere from 20-50 different students. 

First of all, I hesitate to think of them as my “students.” I do love to think of them as “my” friends. In any place where I am working, I always feel that they are fellow-learners and that we are on a journey together.  I’m not afraid to share my experience, but one of my main goals is to show them the “goals, values and attitudes” that I have towards learning.  I try to help them gain the knowledge and skill acquisition they need so that we can quickly move from a teacher/student relationship to collaborators

After a week of INTENSE meetings where, I did, as Bill predicted, begin to question all my previous methods, I decided to apply what I learned this week to my Chinese Bible Study group which met Friday night.  It is very diverse in age, background, and interests. Instead of focusing on just helping my students acquire knowledge and improve attitudes I tried to approach the time with planning the lesson with my goal (for the  as the basis of what I planned and constructing the questions, activities, and discussion directed towards that deeper goal). 

Usually, I use technology to try to enrich and add visual interest to a lesson, but since my computer had crashed (on Tuesday it totally failed) I couldn’t use the overhead projector in the classroom.  I put my questions for the lesson on to a PowerPoint and then on my iPad.  The iPad worked great as a prompter for me, and actually the lack of the overhead added to people moving in a little closer than usual and more centered on each other and the dialog instead of constantly referring to the screen. When it comes to technology, as much as I love it, sometimes less is more.

I was really grateful for the response of the students.  It was probably the most lively discussion we have had in months and everyone participated actively (except for our newest member who can only speak limited English).  After the meeting, one of the participants came up and said how much he had enjoyed the session and it gave him a lot to think about.

I can hardly wait until next week when I can start working with the Writing Center students using the same principles.

Using the principles we learned does transform us, and yes, the process is excruciating. 


A little, at a very DRAFT stage,  attempt at a poem to describe the experience-


On my journey,
down the street.
Saw a dress,
in the window.
It was lavender,
my favorite color.

I went in,
to try it on.
It was harder than I thought,
I had to really stretch 
and twist to get it
to fit.
Once on,
I knew I must have it.
No matter
what.
the cost.

I took it home,
held it,
closely.
inhaling the fresh dyes,
caressing the smooth threads.
It was good
to be 
home.

The flowers on my deck

 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment