Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Digital Spaces

It is hard to define where my digital spaces are.  As long as I have my computer, which is all the time,  I can whip it out and start writing.  Because of WiFi and my hotspot I can also do research almost anywhere.

Work:  My primary workplace is at the Writing Center at MSU. It is a wonderful place to write, I am surrounded by people who care about writing, get to work with students at all levels of the writing process.  I get to see them come in all stressed and frustrated--hand them a few tools to help improve their writing -- and see them leave happy.  I LOVE my job.

The bare minimum- one computer


Much more productive, two computers and an iPad


Since I love multi-tasking, I like to get a project running on one computer (say, compressing some digital files) then I can switch to the other for writing while the first one is thinking.  Yes, it could be done on one computer, but then the response slows down and that is not only frustrating, it slows or even stops my creative flow.  At home I have a large PC desktop with two monitors and then put two laptops at either side...then I am in the "zone," with my music going; I am in my digital space.  

Other places I work- Lansing Community College Writing Center.  I don't have a picture with me, but a similar situation.  However, we work with a lot of non-traditional as well as remedial students.  I think last year over 30% of the new students needed remedial classes to qualify for college classes.  We also help a lot of refugees and international students.  Everything from students who struggle for an hour to construct one complete sentence to computer programmers from India who speak three languages and are preparing for transferring to the physics departments of major universities.  I also tutor a few writing students at Siena Heights, tutor writing students in Taiwan via Skype (pretty much weekly),  and work on a Web-based program for the Michigan Hospital Association for my company, Beachcomber Design, LLC.  

All of these place I write.  I breathe, I speak, I write, I drink tea....sometimes I sleep a little bit.

Where I would like to be writing.  
    I worked hard a few weeks ago to help beautify an area on our deck so I could sit, sip my tea and feel like I am on vacation at some bed and breakfast.  I love the outdoors in the summer, I like to pretend I am there even when I am not.  




So, pretty much everywhere is my digital space.




No comments:

Post a Comment