Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Revised, yet still draft, Teachnology Statement



As a young teacher thrust the hand of her stubborn, blind and deaf young student under the flow of cool water she spelled into her hand yet again, one more time the letters for w-a-t-e-r.  Suddenly, the girl’s face lit up, she understood. Helen Keller’s teacher, Anne Sullivan was able to do what many was thought impossible. A blind, deaf and mute student could use meaningful words to communicate her thoughts and emotions. This scene summarizes much of what I believe about education.  It is often not glamorous; it involves a lot of work, dedication, careful planning, and persistence.  Most of all, it requires the belief that the students have value, and that education is the key to their future.

I believe that education is the elemental key to open doors; it should not become a barrier that keeps a student from fulfilling their potential.  I intentionally plan learner-centered activities that can reach students with multiple learning styles. I let my students know that no matter where they are from, no matter what they have been through, they can overcome the past. My objective is to give them confidence through meeting achievable goals that are mutually set.  Through these activities, students see that they have the ability to learn even challenging concepts. Evidence of the efficacy of this philosophy is the change in their attitude and academic performance. Even though these changes are often only incremental, they become stepping stones which students can traverse in their quest for knowledge. “People seldom see the halting and painful steps by which the most insignificant success is achieved,” Anne Sullivan.

I believe that students love to learn, especially when they realize that what they are learning is challenging, interesting and relevant.  The danger in seeking to remove barriers to education is that we also remove the challenge. Students may see activities without a growing challenge as menial and demeaning, then they lose interest.  Even though I seek to remove barriers, I purposely encourage the students to stretch beyond their previous accomplishments and constantly reach for the next level. The students help set their own goals and learn to work collaboratively, generating an excitement that is evidenced by a spirit of friendly competition in the classroom. As educator Marva Collins said, “The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another.”

I believe that the goal of each class is to go beyond the course objectives; it is to build a life-long love for learning, develop critical thinking skills, to move beyond mediocrity, and teach students to be an advocate for themselves. Through carefully planned activities and clear objectives these abstract principles can be turned into actual accomplishments. I work cooperatively with students, letting the learning process organically develop and stepping back as quickly as possible.  I use vanishing in my teaching, so that as the student gains skills and confidence, I quickly try to get out of the way, much like Lev Vygotsky’s scaffolding and fading concepts.

I move from being directive in the early stages of a class, to more of a cheerleader and collaborator as the class moves forward, and finally to the observing Sensei.  I feel that I have achieved my purpose as the students no longer need me,  and they are able to succeed in their studies.  My greatest joy is to see my students develop tools that will help them in their educational journey; as well as grow in the joy of learning.  I hope that as a result of our interactions they will gain important skills, beliefs and values,  that they in turn, can pass on to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment