Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Workspace


Greetings from South America.

Allow me share with you, my digital workspace:

I’d say that I do 95% of my work from my apartment, the other 5% comes from work that accidentally gets done during my office hours. I really do not work well in public places. This is something I’ve known for a long time, and have learned to avoid. As nice as sitting under a tree or hanging out in a coffee shop sounds, I drift off into la-la-land far too easily. I am a terrible procrastinator need to eliminate as many distractions as I can before I can get to work. Simply put, I need an environment that I can control, which leaves my apartment.

I have a two-bedroom apartment. One bedroom is used exclusively for sleeping, as for the second bedroom, well I had dreams of it being an office/guest room but in reality it’s more of a storage room/walk-in closet. I have a desk that I have owned since my sophomore year, but I have never actually done any work there. And I mean never. My sophomore year I only had a bed and a desk and I would do my homework on the floor. During my junior and senior year, a combination of insufficient floor space and increased bed size resulted in my bed becoming my daily workspace. Since moving into an apartment I now have more space that is all my own and have managed to move my daily workspace to the living room/dining room. Ideally I work at the kitchen table but if my computer is the only tool I need to do a task, I tend to end up on the couch.

An accurate representation: MacBook, notebook, to-do list, goblet of wine.

As for the digital aspect of my workspace, I use Angel, but mostly just for sending out reminders, posting assignments and reviews, and updating grades. The classes I teach use an online site for all homework and I spend a decent amount of time on this site also, keeping track of the activities. Other than that, the only sites I regularly visit are for social or entertainment purposes. I also use powerpoint presentations, mainly when beginning a new lesson, but after an introduction my lessons usually become more oral or hands-on.

Enjoy!
Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment